We are excited to announce the launch of the Solidarity Fund! This new fund, hosted by Mama Cash, was made by women’s funds for women’s funds. Mama Cash knows first-hand that women’s funds are supporting some of the most innovative, courageous and transformative feminist movements around the world. They are a key part of the infrastructure needed for feminist movements to hold the line, advance their agendas, and resist attacks and backlash.
In the spirit of radical trust and solidarity, the Solidarity Fund is a pot of funding made to support the needs of women’s funds. It is also unique in that it incorporates participatory grantmaking as a more equitable, just, transparent and accountable form of grantmaking. This approach also seeks to empower women’s funds to make the decisions that are best for our peers and thus strengthen the feminist funding ecosystem.
For this first round of the Solidarity Fund, the Design Committee, has collectively decided to focus on the theme: learning and knowledge sharing. Women’s funds are encouraged to seek funds on the topic of most importance (e.g. care & wellbeing, technology & digital security, fundraising, environmental justice, convenings & events, campaigns & advocacy, security as examples that some Women’s Funds have suggested). Decisions will be made by participating Women’s Funds.
This first round of the Solidarity Fund will be a learning experience for all of us, and we don’t expect perfection, especially in this inaugural round. Please contact us at email@example.com with questions, comments or concerns. We are excited to embark on this journey together!
The Solidarity Fund Eligibility Criteria
- Women’s funds interested in applying must first review and meet our criteria.
- Organisations and groups that are typically eligible for Mama Cash Body/Money/Voice grants are not eligible to apply for the Solidarity Fund, this is a fund for women’s funds only. If you have a question about whether your organisation is a women’s fund please review our criteria.
- Applicants are not required to be a member of Prospera - The International Network of Women’s Funds to be considered for funding; nascent and emergent funds are welcome to apply.
- For this initial round, US and Canadian Women's Funds working at the local/city/state level (e.g. City of X Women's Fund) are ineligible.
- Women’s Funds can apply as individuals or jointly (as a collaborative request). Women’s Funds can only submit one proposal, even if they are part of a collaborative.
Click here to learn more about our work with women’s funds and our strategy.
How to Apply
Mama Cash’s grant application window for the Solidarity Fund will be from 13 January – 9 February 2020, 23:59 CET. All applications need to be submitted directly to the following address: SolidarityFund@mamacash.org.
Women’s funds interested to apply may submit a written application form or alternatively a video recording form alongside a budget form. For the written application form please download the brief proposal and budget application forms here
If you would like to write a grant proposal in another language and have it translated, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you decide to submit a video, please follow the questions on the application form, as well as the budget, and answer them on the video recording.
Decisions about the grants will be also done through a participatory approach. Any Women’s fund eligible for a grant is eligible to participate in this decision-making process. Women’s funds do not need to submit a proposal to participate in the grant application review, they just need to indicate their interest by January 31 to email@example.com.
With deep thanks and appreciation to the Solidarity Fund Design Committee
The Solidarity Fund was designed with significant guidance and expertise from eleven participants, representing women’s funds all around the world. Over the course of several weeks, they offered their thoughts and experience on nearly all elements of the design of this new fund. This fund would not be possible without them. We express our deep thanks to their engagement and significant participation!
The members of the Design Committee are as follows:
- Massan d’Almeida, XOESE, Le Fonds pour les Femmes Francophones, Togo
- Amalia E Fischer, Elas - Fundo de Investimento Social, Brazil
- Aminatu Gambo, FIMI/AYINI Foro Internacional de Mujeres Indígenas, Global
- Judy Kan, HER Fund, Hong Kong
- Natalia Karbowska, Ukrainian Women’s Fund, Ukraine
- Karen Kraan, Mama Cash, Global
- Caroline Kiarie- Kimondo, Urgent Action Fund Africa, Kenya
- Diana Medina, Fondo Semillas, Mexico
- Tatenda Nzinga Muranda, FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund, Global
- Magdalena Pocheć, FemFund, Poland
- Sadhana Shrestha, Tewa, Nepal
We encourage applicants to visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about the Solidarity Fund and answer any questions that you may have. If you have additional questions that don’t show up in our FAQ please send us a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest!