The Solidarity Fund is a new participatory grantmaking fund. From the design to the selection process, it was created in its entirety by women’s funds, for women’s funds.
Mama Cash knows first-hand that women’s funds are supporting some of the most innovative, courageous and transformative feminist movements around the world. They are a key part of the infrastructure needed for feminist movements to hold the line, advance their agendas and resist attacks and backlash.
Launched in early 2020, the Solidarity Fund is a special pot of funding that has been allocated to support the needs of women’s funds. It is an addition to Mama Cash’s long-term core grants support for women’s funds, and does not replace any of our existing funding.
In a spirit of radical trust and solidarity, the fund incorporates participatory grantmaking as a more equitable, just, transparent and accountable form of grantmaking. This approach also seeks to empower women’s funds to make the decisions that are best for our peers and that will strengthen the feminist funding ecosystem.
How does it work?
The 2019-2020 inaugural round was a great success, with a total of 26 women’s funds contributing in a variety of ways. Ten women’s funds participated in the design process, and collectively decided on various elements including the theme for the funding round: learning and knowledge sharing. This topic had been identified by women’s funds as among their most pressing needs.
Of the 16 eligible proposals that were received and reviewed by a special committee composed of 10 women’s funds, 8 applications were selected for funding. The budget of the Solidarity Fund for 2019-2020 is € 200,000, with € 25,000 allocated per grant.
We are thrilled to announce the recipients of the grants awarded in this inaugural round:
- Dalia Association https://www.dalia.ps
- Doria Feminist Fund
- Fiji Women’s Fund https://fijiwomensfund.org/
- FIMI - International Indigenous Women's Forum https://www.fimi-iiwf.org/
- Mones - Mongolian Women’s Fund https://mones.org.mn/
- South Asia Women Foundation India http:/ /www.sawfindia.org/
- Women's Fund Armenia https://womenfundarmenia.org
- Women's Fund in Georgia https://www.womenfundgeorgia.org
We would also like to extend our deep gratitude and appreciation to all of the women’s funds, listed below, that were part of the process for giving their time, trust, labour, love and dedication to the Solidarity Fund. Thank you!
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice https://www.astraeafoundation.org/ *
- Bulgarian Fund for Women https://bgfundforwomen.org/ *
- Calala Fondo de Mujeres https://www.calala.org *
- Dalia Association https://www.dalia.ps *
- ELAS Fundo de Investimento Social http://www.fundosocialelas.org/ +
- Equality Fund https://equalityfund.ca/ *
- FemFund https://femfund.pl/en/ +
- Fondo Semillas https://semillas.org.mx/ +
- FIMI - International Indigenous Women's Forum https://www.fimi-iiwf.org/ +
- FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund https://youngfeministfund.org/ * +
- HER Fund https://www.herfund.org.hk *+
- Tewa http://www.tewa.org.np/ +
- Ukranian Women’s Fund https://www.uwf.org.ua/en/ +
- Urgent Action Fund – Africa http://www.uaf-africa.org/ +
- Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights https://urgentactionfund.org/ *
- Women Win https://www.womenwin.org/ *
- XOESE – the Francophone Women’s Fund https://xoese.org *+
This inaugural round of the Solidarity Fund has been a wonderful experience for Mama Cash. We are grateful for the generous feedback we received from the 26 women’s funds that participated its different phases.
From the beginning until the end, working in solidarity and partnership with our stakeholders was a transformative process for Mama Cash. The participatory process allowed us to live our feminist values of shared power, radical trust and true solidarity. We will continue to engage with women’s funds and philanthropic communities in order to share our learnings and experiences through webinars, blogs and podcasts.
* review and selection process participant
+ design process participant