Mama Cash is looking for a Programme officer Economic Justice 36 hours/week
The position requires working closely with the rest of the Movements Team to implement our grantmaking and accompaniment policies and procedures based on our 2021-2030 Strategic Guide with an emphasis on: our Participatory Grantmaking processes; Accompaniment strategy; and implementation and management of grants under all of our funding streams.
The ideal candidate has expertise in a broad range of issues related to feminist organising of women, girls, trans and intersex people with specific focus on economic justice. The ideal candidate also has knowledge of and experience working in social movements, is a strong project manager and ideally has grantmaking experience. Finally, the ideal candidate has experience in and/or is willing to initiate collaborations within philanthropy, academia, the private sector, and beyond with the aim of increasing our grantee-partner access to opportunities in multiple domains.
Main tasks & responsibilities
A. Grantmaking and Accompaniment
- Identify and analyse developments and trends in economic justice issues as related to the rights of women’s, girls’, trans and intersex people to then inform our programming work.
- Maintain an understanding of how social change happens, as well as how the types of groups Mama Cash supports operate.
- Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate annual plans for their grantmaking.
- Help set overall programme budgets and manage the budget allocation for their portfolio.
- Administer and oversee all grantmaking tasks for their portfolio, including handling requests for funds, developing grant files and budgets, and conducting analysis, monitoring and evaluation of grants and grantmaking activities.
- Build, manage and work with the network of formal and informal advisors.
- Prepare written progress reports and recommendations to the Board of Directors biannually.
- Contribute to the development of improved learning, monitoring and evaluation procedures.
- Work closely with grantee-partners to build their organisational skills, knowledge, networks, programmatic strategies, and their linkages to other grantee-partners and allies to share lessons learned and contribute to movement building.
- Contribute to the implementation of a clear Accompaniment strategy for grantee-partners based on Mama Cash’s Accompaniment Pathways Tool.
- Contribute to internal processes, including but not limited to the implementation of our Participatory Grantmaking process.
B. Outreach and Communications
- Act as a thought leader for economic justices issues articulating analysis of trends and grantmaking priorities to outside audiences, including media, donors and various institutions through a variety of methods (conferences, social media, etc.).
- Outreach to current and prospective grantee-partners to understand how social movements operate in their contexts, their objectives, and strategies, and to identify potential new grantee-partners.
- Represent Mama Cash externally.
- Assist the Partnership and Communications Team in preparing communications materials, reports and proposals.
- Promote knowledge of economic justice issues within Mama Cash through information sessions and grantee-partner presentations.
- Promote our grantee-partners’ work to other donors, where and when appropriate, to support their increased visibility, access and growth.
C. Management and Supervision
- Manage some fiscal responsibilities.
- Commitment to feminism, economic, social and environmental justice, and the rights of intersex people, trans people, girls and women.
- Professional experience: a minimum of four years of substantive experience working in or with feminist social movements in the area of economic justice and ideally in the Global South and/or East.
- Lived experience of resisting injustice and/or other forms of systemic oppression (including but not limited to sexism, racism, homo-antagonism, trans-antagonism, classism and disablism – and their intersections).
- Preferably based in the Global South and/or East and with experience working remotely across time-zones and in a multi-cultural environment. Location should be in a time-zone that ensures at least a 4 hour overlap with Mama Cash working hours (between 8 am and 5 pm CET).
- Programme and Project management: excellent organisational skills, budget management, creating and implementing detailed project plans including determining priorities, using goals to guide actions, and applying work practices and approaches consistent with established and evolving organizational processes.
- Relationship management: good interpersonal style, valuing different viewpoints and communication styles in a politically and culturally diverse environment. Ability to manage professional relationships with attention to detail on deliverables and adhering to internal and external approvals processes.
- Communications skills: strong oral and written English, including through production of high quality written reports and oral presentations. Fluency in a second language used by Mama Cash (Dutch, French, Spanish, or Russian) an advantage.
- Experience with grantmaking preferred.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Interest and ability to travel occasionally.
What we offer
We offer an engaging and professional work environment in an international foundation committed to diversity, solidarity, peace and justice. The monthly salary for this position depends upon experience and is based on CAO Welzijn scale 10, 8% vacation, 13th month, and pension plan. Our office is located in Amsterdam (The Netherlands). Remote working is a possibility.
Are you interested in this position?
Both a letter of motivation and CV (resume) need to be submitted in PDF format in English and stating the job description, through the form on our website only!
For more information or questions, please address Vanina Serra (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please react and send your application not later than 15 June 2021 12:00am CET.
We value the expertise and knowledge of those who have directly experienced injustice and are working to create the change Mama Cash believes in. We particularly welcome applications from those targeted by racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and disablism.