Mama Cash is looking for a Programme Associate Asia and the Pacific based in the region, 36 hours per week.
Mama Cash was the first international women’s fund in the world. Today, we provide grants and support to pioneering women’s, girls’ and trans and intersex people’s rights initiatives around the globe that challenge the root causes of injustice. Activists and donors join with Mama Cash to advance gender equality and respect for the human rights of all people.
Purpose of the position
Mama Cash aims to strengthen its grantmaking by hiring a Programme Associate for Asia and the Pacific, based in the Asia/Pacific region, to manage our knowledge of and relationships with current and potential grantee-partners and the movements they are a part of.
The Programme Associate (PA) acts as the first and main point of contact for all of Mama Cash’s grantee-partners in Asia and the Pacific. To do so, you carry out direct administrative and substantive grantmaking and programmatic support to several Programme Officers (PO).
More specifically, you support our PO’s through building our networks, shaping our portfolio of grantee-partners, and identifying and developing our priorities in Asia and the Pacific.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in and experience with the region and with women’s rights and feminist groups and movements active there, and strong administration and project management skills. Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a region-relevant language and a third language that Mama Cash works in is preferred.
Essential job function:
A. Grantmaking and Programmes
- Serve as the main contact for current and potential grantee-partners from the region including: conducting outreach, liaising on a regular basis with partners, allies and activists in the region to build relations and knowledge about funding needs, and responding to inquiries on the status of proposals or opportunities for funding, including declining unsuccessful proposals;
- Support the due diligence process for making grants;
- Communicate with Mama Cash advisors to gather additional information on potential grant recipients;
- Contribute to the analysis of progress and final reports from grantee-partners;
- Monitor and share information about grant and grantee-partner developments with Mama Cash, maintaining contacts with grantee-partners and signaling challenges and opportunities for Mama Cash’s programme work;
- Contribute to technical improvements for grantmaking processes and team infrastructure;
- Proactively and re-actively compile regional, thematic and grantee-partner-specific information, news and analysis for use by other teams within Mama Cash;
- Support the Philanthropic Partnerships and Communications team to coordinate with grantee-partners for Mama Cash publications and events;
- Represent Mama Cash alone or with others at events or meetings.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Full commitment to Mama Cash’s vision, mission and values;
- Knowledge of women’s rights and feminist issues and movements in the region via previous work, study or living experience;
- Bilingual fluency in oral and written in English is required; skills in another language used in the region and working knowledge of a third language that Mama Cash works in is preferred;
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Organised, with strong administration skills and with attention to detail and meet deadlines;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a demonstrate sensitivity and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and different communication styles in a politically and culturally diverse environment;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team from a long distance;
- Ability to travel within the region and to Amsterdam at least twice a year;
- Computer literate.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences or related field is strongly preferred (such as gender studies, anthropology, sociology or international development);
- Minimum two years relevant work experience;
- General non-profit exposure;
- Experience in working in a diverse, team-oriented, and fast-paced environment;
- Experience with grantmaking is desirable.
Are you interested in the position?
Both a letter of motivation and CV (resume) need to be submitted in English and stating the job description via the form below.
Deadline for application: August 25th 2019. Interviews take place on on September 2 and 3, 2019.
Mama Cash is interested in candidates situated in the Asia/Pacific region.
We value the expertise and knowledge of those who have directly experienced injustice and are working to create the change Mama Cash believes in.
We particularly welcome applications from those targeted by racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and disablism.
For more information please contact Karen Kraan, Acting Director of Programmes by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
What does Mama Cash offer?
We offer an engaging and professional work environment in an international foundation committed to diversity, solidarity, peace and justice. Our head office is cent located in Amsterdam.
The monthly salary for this position depends upon experience and is based on CAO Welzijn scale 7, (min.) € 2.422 (max.) € 3.384, 8% vacation, 13th month, and pension plan.