Mama Cash is looking for an interim Director of Partnerships and Communications for the period November 2019 to approximately April/May 2020 for 36 hours per week.
Mama Cash was the first international women’s fund in the world. Today, we provide grants and support to pioneering women’s, girls’ and trans and intersex people’s rights initiatives around the globe that challenge the root causes of injustice. Activists and donors join with Mama Cash to advance gender equality and respect for the human rights of all people.
Mama Cash is seeking an experienced, visionary leader and exceptional manager with a passion for making a difference in women’s rights and gender justice globally. Specifically, we are seeking an Interim Director of Partnerships and Communications to provide leadership, strategic direction, oversight, and coordination for our Partnerships and Communications team to sustain and expand funding for Mama Cash, build our profile and increase our visibility, and stimulate individual and institutional donors to become supporters. The role is a temporary one, and will play a critical role in supporting the Partnerships and Communications team to set and manage priorities during a period of transition, while Mama Cash conducts a recruitment process for a permanent new Director. In addition, the Interim Director will work as part of the Management Team to provide guidance and leadership for the organisation as a whole. The current Director of Partnerships and Communications has moved to a different position in Mama Cash.
We are looking for an expert professional with strong staff management experience who can inspire, motivate and challenge the Partnerships and Communications team. Additionally we seek someone with significant working knowledge of the non-profit sector, in particular fundraising and communications. The successful candidate has excellent written and oral communications skills in English (Dutch proficiency is desirable) and a demonstrated commitment to women’s rights and gender justice.
Essential job functions
Team Leadership, Management, and Supervision
- Oversees and manages a Partnerships and Communications team of ten, ensuring that staff has the necessary tools and training to do its work;
- Directly supervises three senior staff members who lead their own teams;
- Provides overall direction and priority setting for the team;
- Seeks ways to professionalise and systematise the work of the team to be more responsive, effective and efficient.
Vision, Strategic Thinking, and New Initiatives
- Develops the vision for Mama Cash’s fundraising and communications efforts;
- Leads the implementation of strategies to achieve fundraising and communications goals as laid out in strategic and annual plans;
- Develops and oversees implementation of the fundraising and communications annual plan including ambitious target setting, and writes other (strategic) planning documents as needed;
- Participates in affinity groups and membership organisations related to fundraising and communications in order to build partnerships and common cause;
- Initiates, advances and oversees special fundraising and communications projects and ensures that they are consistent with our values and our internal capacity.
Sustaining and Increasing Funds
- Expands and diversifies strategies to identify, educate, involve and cultivate existing and prospective donors (institutional and individual);
- Provides conceptual feedback and input for, and quality assures, important projects, proposals and reports;
- Develops and maintains relationships with and solicits major individual and institutional donors.
Financial Planning & Management
- Develops annual budget with participation of team members and in conjunction with the Management Team;
- Monitors the Partnerships and Communications team budget;
- Oversees the review of monthly financial statements and the reconciliation of donor gifts between finance and fundraising data systems.
Organisational Leadership and Management
- Helps to establish long-term strategic direction alongside the Management Team and Supervisory Board;
- Models effective leadership to all Mama Cash staff and promotes the organisational vision and values to all employees, serving as a role model for a culture of performance, accountability, transparency and innovation;
- Ensures that all teams are working for organisational coherence;
- Makes viable organisation-wide strategic and operational decisions;
- Reports in a timely and regular manner to the Managing Board, and facilitates the engagement of the Supervisory Board in fundraising and communications.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Strong commitment to women’s rights and the values, goals and work of Mama Cash;
- Strong working knowledge of international development and women’s, girls’, trans people’s and intersex people’s human rights;
- Excellent leadership, management, and supervisory skills;
- Commitment to and understanding of women’s rights and gender justice, and ability to clearly communicate Mama Cash’s work and vision;
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills for developing fundraising and communications strategies;
- Track record as a senior fundraising professional, ideally towards both individual and institutional donors;
- Expert knowledge in strategic communications for social justice and or women’s rights, and for a fundraising organisation;
- Experience managing a communications function;
- Knowledge of IT and online media for communications and fundraising;
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to cultural, racial, ethnic and economic and social justice;
- Strong writing skills;
- Good public speaking skills;
- Able to lead and engage in planning processes and set priorities;
- Able to interpret vision and values;
- Able to think critically and analytically;
- Strong knowledge of budgeting;
- Able to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humour;
- Willingness to travel (in the Netherlands and internationally);
- English fluency required (written and oral), proficiency in Dutch desirable.
Education and experience
- Proven managerial experience (strategic and operational) of at least 5 years, preferably in the international nonprofit sector;
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and developing staff;
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a fundraising leadership role;
- University degree or equivalent in relevant field, such as (International) Human Rights, Social Sciences, International Development, Gender/Women’s Studies, Marketing and Communications;
- Proven experience in the full spectrum of fundraising;
- Demonstrated success at developing and implementing strategic fundraising and communications plans and closing major gifts from individuals and institutions.
Are you interested in this position?
We offer an engaging and professional work environment in an international foundation committed to diversity, solidarity, peace and justice. Our head office is located in Amsterdam. The monthly salary for this position depends upon experience and is based on CAO Welzijn scale 13, (min.) € 3.928 (max.) € 6.262, 8% vacation, 13th month, and pension plan.
Both a letter of motivation and CV (resume) need to be submitted in English and stating the job description, using the vacancy application web form below only. Deadline for application: November 10, 2019.
We value the knowledge of those with direct personal expertise and experience of resisting oppressions and in creating the social change Mama Cash believes in. We therefore particularly welcome applications from those targeted by sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia/trans antagonism, classism and disablism.